Have you ever seen a “Chicken Soup for the Soul” book? Of course you have! There are 11 million of them in circulation, so they’re kind of hard to miss. Have you ever wondered how the editors choose stories to publish? What if I told you it’s really easy to submit your story?
My very first break into paid publication was with a book called “Chicken Soup for the Soul: Thanks Dad: 101 Stories of Gratitude, Love, and Good Times.” I still remember the thrill I felt when I opened the box of books with my story “Thanks Dad” inside. As you might imagine, I was estatic.
A few months later, I submitted and published a poem in their anthology “Chicken Soup for the Soul: Runners: 101 Inspiration Stories of Energy, Endurance and Endorphins.” Was it because of my vast expertise in the field of running and fitness?
Did you read my last post about chicken fried steak? Then you know THAT’S not it.
Since my publication with CSS, I have been published many times over, and most recently my first novel, War Eagle Women.I really feel that it was Chicken Soup that got my foot into the door of the publishing world and I want to share this with you.
Everybody has a story to tell. I know the gears are clicking! Keep in mind that Chicken Soup publishes a couple of books a month.
YOU CAN DO THIS. You have a really great shot at finding a book that’s perfect for your story.
Here are 5 reasons why you should submit a story to them today!
1. You don’t need an agent. Many large publishers will not even speak to you without one. Chicken Soup accepts unsolicited submissions from anyone who sends them.
2. You don’t have to write a query letter or proposal. It’s as simple as clicking and submitting.
3. Chicken Soup publishes poetry as well as short stories. Few big name publishers will print a poem from an unknown writer. And, CSS pays the same whether it’s a poem or story.
4. Chicken Soup is an internationally known francise. Their books are translated into at least 40 languages worldwide. That’s a lot of publicity for someone who wants to publish a novel.Their website states that at last count they have published 11 million books.
5. Once published with CSS, you gain credibility, not only as a published writer but with an internationally known brand. Did you know that CSS is not just books? They also sell calendars, clothing, audiobooks, dog food and get this…they are making movies from their favorite short stories! You also gain opportunities. I have spoken several times on this very topic, gaining entrance to expensive writers’ conferences FOR FREE. I said it!
In addition, because I was a speaker at these conferences, I was able to chat with agents and other writers about my book in a casual way. Agents like to hear that you have published something in such a substantial, well-known brand. It makes them want to take a chance on reading bigger things…like your novel.
I know the gears are clicking. And because Chicken Soup publishes so frequently, you have a really great shot of finding the right place for your special piece.
CSS is always looking for material, but it must be clean, uplifting and 1200 words or less. Here’s a link for specific guidelines.
At the time of this printing, they are currently looking for stories and poems for the following books in progress:
Christmas in Canada
Stories About Moms
Stories About the Christmas Season
Stories by Moms
The Power of Forgiveness
Touched by an Angel
Here’s a link for the details regarding these books:
Ready to submit your story or poem? Click here for details. It’s so easy. Why wouldn’t you want to?
It’s time to get cooking.
13 thoughts on “How to Get Published with Chicken Soup for the Soul”
Love your blog! Do you want to follow me back on http://www.gossipgirlnetherlands.wordpress.com . THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! I will give you a shoutout if you follow me!:)
XOXO Gossip girl
Thank you! I followed you back.
Thank you! Maybe we can promote our blogs on our blogs?
We could guest post on one another’s blogs. Also if you join my Facebook group Writer’s Cafe you can post there as well. 🙂
thanks:) what’s the link to it?
Here’s the link: https://www.facebook.com/WritersCafe.tinabausinger?ref=hl. If you have trouble just look for me, Author Tina Coleman Bausinger, and I’ll invite you. Have a good Monday!
Okay thanks :)!
thanks:) what’s the link to it?
Pingback: How to Get Published with Chicken Soup for the Soul | Tina Bausinger: Southern Mom
Hi Tina! I just found out a couple of weeks ago that I have been published in an upcoming Chicken Soup for the Soul book called “The Joy of Less.” I am so excited and really hope it leads to other opportunities! I also enjoy public speaking and have aspirations to find success as a writer in other venues. I would love to know any advice you have, especially in getting involved at writer’s conferences. Thank you!
Suzannah, it absolutely can lead to speaking opportunities! I’ve talked about it twice at the Dallas Fort Worth Writers Conference. I would research conferences close by and send an email to the director. That’s what I did! And I was able to attend an expensive conference for free, as well as talk to agents about my novel!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Wow! Thank you! So the credential of having been published by CSS is enough to open these doors? That’s incredible.
People are really interested in Chicken Soup. I’ve published a few non-blog articles about it as well.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Comments are closed.